Friday, January 29, 2010

Sign of things to come? I hope not...

Today has been one of those tough ones with the kids.. actually lets be honest, its been a tough week children wise.

Xave's aggression towards Stella has returned.. and the drama queen is of course in full swing about it.

I'm sure it all stems from his love of her, really it does. But she does not like being picked up by her head while having her eye sockets used as hand holds, she does not love cuddles so tight that she cannot breathe and she does not like being pushed into doors and windows...and you know what, I don't blame her. I just wish that sometimes she would wait for him to actually do these things BEFORE she starts screaming about it. She has got to the point that he just comes near her and she starts.

With her being more mobile now, this often means that the screaming begins in another area of the house, so I have to drop what I'm doing to go running to ascertain if she is being a drama queen or if he is in fact hurting her. So I'm claiming all that running back and forth as my daily exercise, add to that the constant squatting to pick her up from her tormentors grasp and lugging her around on my hip while I try and get things done.

But it has me pondering... is my son always going to be violent to those he loves so dearly? and is my daughter going to be a victim of domestic violence at the hands of a man who claims to love her? Sheesh, I hope not.

Then I get thinking, is is bad parenting that I really want to see her just thump him back. She has always been such a determined, headstrong little person, that I am really quite shocked that she takes this from him. Only to scream in my lap until he does something that looks amusing and off she goes again after him.

I guess I know the answer. My son is not a woman beater (although all the pushing he has been doing of his female friends of late is annoying) and my daughter will not allow herself to be pushed around by a man or anyone else. But on days like today, gee its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kint sounds like my house Minus the screaming as Autumn hasn't quite figgured that out yet. I think its just the age our Bigger kiddies are at but I feel your pain. No matter what though I know your kids will grow up to be happy and healthy people because they have a wonderful Mummy like you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry about my daughter being the bully. There is a 13 month age gap between the two, Rylan is almost as tall as her, but as far as personality goes they're complete opposites.
    Isla has a very strong personality and at times she can be very bossy and possessive.
    Rylan is on the quieter side, he tends to be "a pushover" in that he won't really bother to defend he would rather sit back and scream about it.
    It's very frustrating, because I see other children, siblings getting along perfectly, but my two rarely sit and play.
    Like you Kint it concerns me, I remember myself saying "I can't wait until he can fight his own battles." but now? Not so keen. The scratching and slapping just stresses me out more.
    Im glad Im not the only one who shares concern about their children and the interaction, negative & positive.

    ReplyDelete