Thursday, December 8, 2011

Tuesday 6th December

We woke after a solid 12 hours sleep, oh yeah, got dressed and headed down to the dining room for breakfast, which was HUGE! Full hot English breakfast for 5 pound.

Adam wanted to climb to the top of the church in the center of Bath, which didn't appeal to me so much, so we agreed to separate, he would climb a million stairs and I would wander the streets and try to find something to take for lunch on our next leg.

I would have been happy to take a child each, but both kids were adamant that they wanted to go with daddy and climb the stairs. So off the 3 of them went together and I had an amazing hour completely alone on a town where I knew no one. It was wonderful.

Apparently when they got to the church there was a funeral happening so they couldn't climb, so instead they went for a walk down to check out the river for a while then came back after the funeral to look around inside the church.
Bath is beautiful, however, I wouldn't want to live there, its just a bit too beige.




I on the other hand, discovered a quilting store where I was very restrained and only bought some union jack ribbon for any future scrapbooking I may do of our trip. Although I was very tempted by the panels of hungry caterpillar fabric available. I also found a wool shop, where I again was restrained and only bought 1 ball of a magenta pink wool to make a hat for Stella from.

I then wandered to the market area and bought myself a hot chocolate, I asked for it to have marsh mellows, not realising that also meant it would be piled high with cream, marsh mellows and chocolate sauce. nomnomnom. I'd spent too long in the fabric and wool shops so didn't get a chance to grab lunch, but we had seen a deal the night before with a sandwich, snack and drink for less than 3pound 29p.

We met back at the front of the church at the agreed time, went to grab supplies for lunch, both kids had total meltdowns, then got in the car ready to head to our next destination. Adam had picked up a brochure outlining the tour route of The Cotswolds and we decided to follow that on our way to Stratford. Luckily we realised before we left town that Adam had put my handbag in the cupboard in our room back at hostel to keep it safe, because we had forgotten to actually get it our from there.

We really would have been completely lost without the GPS, there is nothing like being able to put 'town center' into the GPS and just sit back and follow instructions. We saw some beautiful little villages, stopped to use the toilet and visit a toy shop in one, checked out a local graveyard trying to find the oldest headstone, we ooohed and aahhhhed about how beautiful everything was and plotted how we could manage to actually live in such a village for 6 months at some point before we die.
Who wouldn't want to live here?





I will never get used to the fact that by 3pm its starting to get dark and by 4:30pm its pretty much nighttime, we arrived in Stratford around 4pm and headed once again to the youth hostel. It was raining in Stratford, so decided to stay in for the night, being fed a huge feast for dinner, sat up and read for a bit before calling it a night.

1 comment:

  1. mmm ... I am reading a series set in an English village right now, so very jealous you are actually seeing them!

    ReplyDelete