Saturday, December 17, 2011

Friday 16th December

Had a bit of a crappy night with the kids. Xavier fell out of bed, Stella woke at least 3 times before she climbed in next to me and fell asleep with me pinned under her while she was somehow also dangling off the edge of the bed. Not long after (or maybe it was, who can tell in the dark) Adam kicked Xavier half way across the bedroom thinking it was the weight of the doona he could feel on his feet and not his own child. A double bed is barely big enough for 2, its definitely not big enough for 4.

Adam got up with the kids about 8 and I went back to sleep. I just wasn't ready to face the world. We had to be out for lunch at 1pm so could afford a slow start to the day. I suggested that seeing as the kids would be dressed nicely for lunch that perhaps we could swing past Santa and see if we could convince the kids to get a pic with the big man.

The kids got dressed with little to no fuss, even Stella was rather compliant about what Adam had picked for her to wear for the day. They walked well to the bus, they sat well on the bus. Things were looking good. They were happy to go to see Santa, but refused point blank to sit with him for a photo. I will be trying again, I have a photo every year so far, and I will be disappointed if I miss one. I did manage to get one of Adam and Santa, so perhaps that will become the tree decoration for 2011.

We got on another bus to get us to lunch. Luckily I decided to ask someone on the bus if they knew where we might need to get off, as we had been told the stop AFTER the bus station, when in fact it was the stop BEFORE the station. Phew.

What happened after that I'm not sure I even want to commit to writing. The kids were appalling. Xavier was overwhelmed with all the people there but was better once we allowed him to sit on the floor in the corner and play with the iPad, but Stella was in fine form. She screamed, she threw food, she threw herself around, she was embarrassing. She had to be taken outside at least twice by Adam and Grandma. I watched the colour drain from the brides face as she clearly could think of nothing other than what the hell would she do if they did THIS at the wedding. All the while, her nieces, who are of similar age, sat quietly and behaved perfectly, unintentionally making my 2 seem even worse.

Walking to the bus Adam said to me that he has never been that embarrassed by our children before. Sadly, I couldn't agree, I have been at least that embarrassed several times, and more embarrassed on a number of occasions. Stella got on the bus and raced to the top level (I stayed down the bottom as knees are still aching) then was deposited back to me by Adam when she began carrying on that she wanted me. She sat quietly on my knee with her head resting back, and I was almost able to recall the sweet sprite that I generally adore. Almost. I was still fuming about not only her behaviour today, but her behaviour since we arrived here. I know she is only 2, but the 2 year old in me wants to stamp my feet and shout out loud in her face to STOP RUINING MY HOLIDAY.

Apart from the horrible carry on, we experienced our first real yum-cha today. The bride ordered for the table, in Chinese, so we had no clue what was coming. Being a fussy eater I was a little nervous, but it was fabulous. Yeah I probably ate the boring stuff, but it was tasty. Adam even tried a chicken foot, he didn't finish it, and confirmed that he will never try one again. 

At home the kids ate a banana and a tub of yoghurt for dinner then were put in bed. Which of course created a whole new world of drama.

We are over half way through our trip, there is still so much that we want to see, particularly Adam who is loving all the history around him. But the thought of taking our kids out in public again makes me want to kill myself. So tomorrow, we are going to attempt to separate them. Adam is going to do some stuff in London with Xavier that I don't want to see, and Stella and I will find something to do somewhere. I have no idea what yet. There is a big Westfield nearby, maybe we will head there, in the warm and try to have some mumma girlie bonding time.

Oh and apparently there was a very very small amount of snow this morning. We didn't see, but it was cold enough today to believe it. We will definitely be on the lookout for it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment