Monday, May 3, 2010

Perfume..

Let's just get this clear from the outset. I'm not a girly girl. I don't even own makeup, let alone wear it. For me, making an effort with my appearance means trying to ensure there is no food from the kids on my top or pants and perhaps if I'm feeling really organised I will slap on some lip gloss. If I'm going all out, I will try and visit the hairdresser and have her wash and blow wave my hair and if its something really really special I go running to my baby sister, who is a makeup artist, and get her to do something with me.

The funny part is that whenever I do go to the full hog effort of baby sis making me up, Adam always just looks at me like he has no clue who this woman is. Poor boy is so used to plain old me that made up me just freaks him out a little.

But I digress... this post is about the one slightly girly thing I do. I wear perfume every single day.

This has not always been the case mind you. Its a fairly recent event. I would wear perfume for special occasions, but that was all. Then I had babies and well, something felt wrong about wearing perfume when a little person was all nuzzled in. I'm not exactly sure when it began, but I know there was a day when I realised I had all these lovely perfumes just sitting around not being used. I was saving them for a 'special occasion'. With 2 kids, this occasion was not going to come before the perfume started smelling funky... so I made a decision, bugger it, I was going to enjoy my perfume and wear it each and every day. So I do!

Its the one thing I do just for me. It makes me feel nice to smell nice, and there is nothing like someone else noticing just how good you smell.

Therefore I felt it was appropriate to dedicate a post to my favourite perfumes...

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker is one of my regular 'day' perfumes. I originally bought it after smelling it on my mum. I love how perfume smells different on different people once it mixes with their natural body oils. On my mum, lovely smells like new babies. Like talc powder, and soft downy heads and that deliciousness that is just new baby smell. unfortunately, it doesn't smell quite the same on me. But it smells good enough and I do love it.


This is Intimately Beckham. No I am no a Beckham fan, I received this as a gift, and at first I was a bit, urgh, Beckham. But its a lovely light fragrance, perfect for 'days' and I do alternate it with lovely for my day use. I probably wouldn't have bought it for myself, not because of the smell, but rather because of the name of it. But regardless, I'm glad I received it as a gift as it has grown on me and I rather like it.


This is the Bvlgeri Omnia I received for my birthday. Its very very different to what I would normally wear. My first instinct was to turn my nose up at it, but after the Beckham experience I'm willing to give it a go. Just because its different, doesn't mean that its necessarily bad. I cant see me wearing it as a 'day' fragrance, it feels too heavy, but I will start wearing it soon and see if it grows on me. Stay tuned for an update.


This Dior Hypnotic Poison is my ABSOLUTE favourite. I love most of the poison range, but find the original poison just too heavy for me. But the hypnotic smells amazing, both off and on me. Hooray! Its my 'special going out' perfume. I feel its a bit much for every day with the kids, but for going out I cant help myself. It makes me feel grown up and a little bit sexy. (my day perfumes make me feel pretty) Never have I worn it out and not had a compliment on it. Its that good. Plus Jenni told me when she sniffed me that I had the best smelling boobs she had ever sniffed and that is saying something...lol



And this, this is what I want next. So pay attention any husbands of mine looking for gift ideas. I had a sniff recently when we were pricing my new bottle of hypnotic poison, and this is just lovely. It would make a delicious day perfume to add to my range.

I have come to realise over the years I am rather smell sensitive. Smells are what bring back memories for me and evoke emotions. For example, I cannot stand the smell of Joop on men. My ex wore it and every time I smell it, I have an overwhelming urge to slap the person wearing it. Cool Water reminds me of teenage boys, because that's what all the cool boys wore when I was a teenager. And embarrassingly so, nothing gets me going quite like the smell of dirty car oil/grease hands and brutt33. There is just something so masculine about a man all greasy and brutty.

Adam isn't really that into aftershave, so he doesn't have a smell as such and I haven't invested enough time sniffing around for something for him to wear that really floats my boat. Guess he just has natural man stink that does it for me.


4 comments:

  1. LOL I wear Intimately Beckham, although I cringed when buying it. I do love the smell though.

    I also love Kylie Minogue's Darling, Sweet Darling and Showtime, despite, once again, the name...

    My other favourite perfume is Celine Dion's Notes. Its cheap as chips from Cosmetics Fragrance Direct or whatever they're called (like $10 a bottle) and when people ask what I'm wearing (which they often do when I'm wearing it), I always say I can't remember which one I've got on because clearly its not something you would admit to (except under a pseudonym on Blogger... LOL)

    And I also love the smell of vanilla... I've got a body shop vanilla oil that does the job quite nicely too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that whenever I get out of the shower and put either one of these (except the vanilla) on, both my male housemates go "mmmmmmmm you smell soooooo goooooood" and they don't know the names of the perfumes so... meh lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow good taste in perfume I also have Hypnotic Poison and its my all time favourite :) we must be thinking alike because i was going to blogg about the perfumes I wear and how much money I pay out on them lol i also have david beckham too but the dark purple bottle for night time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice :) I will start wearing perfume again soon now that H isn't tiny anymore! I have 3 faves... a Hugo Boss one that I think is called Deep Red, Tommy Hilifiger's Forever Summer and Kylie's Darling. I never ever buy perfume without trying it on and then letting it sit for at least a couple of hours to see how it smells on me. I wasn't impressed at all by Kylie at first sniff but she smells awesome on me after half an hour :) There is a girl I used to work with who wears it too, it smells similar enough to recognise but definitely different!

    ReplyDelete